The table below compares the dealing charges and other features of 30 US online stock brokers to help you find the best stock brokers for trading US shares only. If you are looking for US stock brokers to trade international markets instead, try the US international stock brokers list and the US international stock brokers comparison table.
Different stock brokers use very different commission structures, which can make direct comparison difficult. The table attempts to compare like-for-like as much as possible – where brokers offer better rates for more active traders, the rates for least active traders are listed. See below the table for fuller details of commissions for those brokers that have more complex fee structures.
|AB Watley||US$9.95||US$9.95 + US$1.5/contract||n/a||Not stated||US$25/month inactivity fee||US$2,000||Penson||Visit site|
|Charles Schwab||US$8.95||US$8.95 + US$0.75/contract||n/a||Add US$25||None||US$1,000||Self-clearing||Visit site|
|ChoiceTrade||US$5||US$5 + US$0.15/contract||n/a||Add US$5||None||None||Penson||Visit site|
|Cobra Trading||US$0.005/share||US$5 + US$0.95/contract||Fees on|
|Not stated||None||US$2,500||Penson||Visit site|
|E*Trade||US$9.99||US$9.99 + US$0.75/contract||US$2.99/contract||Add US$45||None||US$500||Self-clearing||Visit site|
|eOption||US$3||US$3 + US$0.1/contract||n/a||Add US$6||None||None||Penson||Visit site|
|Fidelity||US$7.95||US$7.95 + US$0.75/contract||n/a||Add US$25||None||US$2,500||Self-clearing||Visit site|
|Firstrade||US$6.95||US$6.95 + US$0.75/contract||n/a||Add US$20||None||None||Penson||Visit site|
|ING Direct Sharebuilder||US$9.95||US$9.95 + US$1.25/contract||n/a||US$19.95||None||None||Pershing||Visit site|
|Interactive Brokers||US$0.005/share (min US$1)||From US$1 plus pass-on fees||US$0.85/contract||Add US$30||US$10/month min commissions||US$10,000||Self-clearing||Visit site|
|Just2Trade||US$2.5||US$2.5 plus US$0.5/contract||n/a||None||None||US$2,500||Legent||Visit site|
|Kapitall||US$9.95||n/a||n/a||Not stated||None||None||Pershing||Visit site|
|Lightspeed Trading||US$3||US$0.6/contract (min US$3)||US$0.6/contract||Add US$20||None||US$5,000||Penson||Visit site|
|LowTrades||US$4.95||US$4.95 + US$0.6/contract||n/a||Add US$20||US$50/half year inactivity fee||None||Penson||Visit site|
|MB Trading||US$4.95||US$0.95/contract||US$0.95/contract||Not stated||None||US$1,000||Penson||Visit site|
|Merrill Edge||US$6.95||US6.95 + US$0.75/contract||n/a||Add US$38||None||None||Self-clearing||Visit site|
|OptionsHouse||US$3.95||US$8.5 + US$0.15/contract||n/a||None||None||US$1,000||Penson||Visit site|
|optionsXpress||US$8.95||US$1.25/contract (min US$12.95)||US$6.99/contract||None||None||None||Self-clearing||Visit site|
|PlaceTrade||US$0.01/share (min US$2.95)||US$0.75/contract (min US$1.5)||n/a||From US$15||US$10/month min commissions||US$5,000||Interactive Brokers||Visit site|
|Scottrade||US$7||US$7 + US$1.25/contract||n/a||Add US$20||None||US$500||Self-clearing||Visit site|
|SogoTrade||US$3||US$5 + US$0.5/contract||n/a||Add US$20-22||US$10/month abandoned accounts||US$500||Penson||Visit site|
|SpeedTrader||US$6.95/trade OR US$0.0039/share (min US$0.99)||US$1/contract||US$1/contract||Add US$30||None||US$500||Penson||Visit site|
|TD Ameritrade||US$9.99||US$9.99 + US$0.75/contract||US$3.5/contract||Add US$35||None||None||Self-clearing (Penson for futures)||Visit site|
|TradeKing||US$4.95||US$4.95 + US$0.65/contract||n/a||None||None||None||Penson||Visit site|
|TradeMonster||US$7.5||US$0.5/contract (min US$15)||US$1.5/contract||Not stated||None||US$2,000||Penson||Visit site|
|TradeStation||US$9.99/trade OR US$0.01/share (min US$1)||US$1/contract||US$1.2/contract||Add US$20||US$99.5/month low activity*||US$5,000||Self-clearing||Visit site|
|TradingBlock||US$7.5||US$7.5 + US$0.75/contract||n/a||None||US$30/year inactivity fee||None||Penson||Visit site|
|Vanguard||US$7-20||US$20 + US$1/contract||n/a||None||None||None||Self-clearing||Visit site|
|Zecco||US$4.95||US$4.95 + US$0.65/contract||n/a||Add US$15||None||None||Legent||Visit site|
1. Futures commissions are given on a per contract per side basis and will also be subject to exchange fees.
2. AB Watley offers two products: WatleyTrader is a basic browser-based platform, while UltimateTrader has additional data, routing and software flexibility. For WatleyTrade (min US$2,000 account size) rates are 1-400 trades/month US$9.95/trade, 400 trades+ US$6.95 or less – inactivity fee of US$25/month if no trades. For UltimateTrader (min US$5,000 account size), rates are 1-49 trades/month US$15.95/trade, 50-99 trades US$13.95/trade, 100-249 trades US$10.95/trade, 250-400 trades US$9.95, 400+ US$6.95/trade or less – inactivity fee of US$50/month if less than 11 trades per month.
3. Cobra Trading charges US$0.005/share for 0-250,000 shares/month and Us$0.004/share for 250,000+ shares/month. The Cobra IQ platform adds an extra US$0.001/share. Platform fees: VenomTrade none, Cobra IQ US$125/month (full rebate if more than 75,000 shares/month), RealTick or Sterling US$250/month (full rebate if more than 200,000 shares/month).
4. E*Trade charges US$9.99/trade for 0-149 trades/quarter and US$7.99 for 150+ trades/quarter.
5. Interactive Brokers a number of pricing plans. For US equities, users can choose between a flat-rate and a cost-plus schedule. Flat-rate basis: US$0.005/share (min US$1, max 0.5% of trade value). Cost-plus basis charges pass-on exchange fees plus broker fees of US$0.0035/share under 300,000 shares/month, US$0.002/share for 300,000-3,000,000 shares/month, US$0.0015/share for 3,000,000-20,000,000 shares/month, US$0.001/share for 20,000,000+ shares/month.
For US options, users can choose between smart routed and direct routed orders. Smart routing: Under 10,000 contracts/month – US$0.7/contract for premiums over US$0.1, US$0.5/contract for premiums US$0.05-0.1, US$0.25 for premiums under US$0.05; 10,000-50,000 contracts/month – US$0.5/contract for premiums over Us$0.05, US$0.25 for premiums under US$0.05; 50,000-100,000 contracts/month – US0.25/contract; over 100;000 contracts/month – US$0.25/contract. Direct routing US$1/contract. All are subject to minimum commission of US$1 and pass-on fees.
For US futures, users can choose between a fixed-rate cost-plus basis and a tiered cost plus basis. Cost-plus fixed charges pass-on fees plus US$0.85/contract; Cost-plus tiered charges pass-on fees and US$0.1 carrying fee/contract/night plus US$0.85/contract for under 1,000 contracts/month, US$0.65/contract for 1,000-10,000 contracts/month, US$0.45/contract for 10,000-20,000 contracts/month and US$0.25 for 20,000+ contracts per month.
Telephone fees are for closing orders only. Broker-assisted trades are available on deals of over 10,000 shares or 100 contracts at rates of US$0.01/share (min US$100), US$0.95/options contract (min US$95) and US$3/futures contract (min US$300).
6. ING Direct Sharebuilder rates are US$9.95 for equities and US$9.95 plus US$1.25/contract for options under the Basic pricing program and US$7.95 for equities and US$0.795 plus US$0.75/contract for options under the Advantage pricing program. Recurring or one-off scheduled equity trades are US$4 per investment under the Basic plan and Us$1 per investment with 12 free per month under the Advantage plan. The Advantage plan costs US$12/month.
7. Lightspeed operates two pricing plans. Smart route access: equities US$3/trade (max 50,000 shares/order), OTC BB Us$10/trade, options US$0.6/contract (min Us$3). Direct market access: Equities pass-on fees plus US$4.5/trade or US$0.0045/share (min US$1), OTC BB pass-on fees plus US$10/trade, options US$0.6/contract (min US$1).
8. MB Trading offers a flat-rate US$4.95/trade or improved routing at US$0.0075/share (min US$4.95).
9. Merrill Edge offers 30 free trades per month for customers with US$25,000 cash in Merrill or Bank of America accounts.
10. OptionsHouse options commissions are US$8.5 plus US$0.15/contract or US$5 for five contracts
11. SogoTrade broker-assisted charges are US$25/trade for shares and US$25 plus Us$0.5/contract for options. The abandoned account fee applies to accounts with less than US$100 equity and no login activity for two years.
12. SpeedTrader requires a minimum account size of US$2,000 for options and US$5,000 for futures. Stock commission plans are US$6.95/trade flat rate or US$0.0039/share (min US$0.99).
13. TD Ameritrade requires a minimum account size of Us$2,000 for options. Thinkorswim is now part of TD Ameritrade with the same commission schedule.
14. TradeMonster options rates: 1-10,000 contracts/month US$0.5/contract min US$12.5; 10,000-50,000 contracts/month US$0.4/contract min US$3.5; 50,000-100,000 contracts/month US$0.2/contract min US$3.5; 100,000 contracts/month US$0.1/contract min US$3.5.
15. TradeStation equities: Flat-rate 1-9 trades/month US$9.99/trade, US$7.99/trade 10-29 trades/month, US$6.99/trade 30+ trades/month; Per share US$0.01/share up to 500 shares, US$0.006/share above 500 shares. OTC BB US$0.01/share up to 10,000 shares, US$0.005/share thereafter. Account service fee of US$99.95/month if less than 5,000 shares or 50 options contracts or 10 round-turn futures (50 round-turn single stock futures) are traded per month or the account has a balance of US$1,000,000.
16. Vanguard operates tiered pricing. Equities: Accounts under US$50,000 US$7/trade for first 25 trades in year, US$20/trade thereafter, accounts from US$50,000-500,000 US$7/trade, accounts from US$500,000-1,000,000 US$2/trade, accounts over US$1,000,000 first 25 trades free, US$2/trade thereafter. Options: US$1/contract plus base fee of US$20 for accounts under US$50,000, US$7 for accounts from US$50,000-500,000 and Us$2 for accounts over US$500,000.
Information in the US discount brokerage fee comparison table comes from the stock brokers’ websites and leaflets, conversations with broker staff and conversations with investors who use the services. While I try to ensure it is accurate and up-to-date, I cannot guarantee that. You should always check current terms and conditions before opening an account. If you identify any errors or omissions, please email me using the contact form.